Your Body: A Detoxing Machine
Note: It is extremely important to understand that not only do we want to get rid of toxins from inside our body, but we also want to make sure and keep toxins from coming into our body.
Let’s take a quick, close look at our major organs of detoxification:
- Did you know your skin is the largest organ in your body, and yes, it is also the largest organ of detoxification.
- Try rubbing half a garlic clove on the bottom of your feet. Within in a few seconds, you can actually taste it! Your skin absorbs everything.
- Rashes and eczema are often seen as your body trying to rid itself of toxins, pushing them out from under the skin.
- By sweating, your body is able to rid itself of toxins, cool!
- Your lungs are a key player in respiration: little alveoli in our lungs push out the metabolic waste, carbon dioxide (CO2), so they can bring in oxygen (O2) from the air to nourish our bodies.
- Did you know that your liver is the only organ in your body that can regenerate itself. With most organs, such as the heart, the damaged tissue is replaced with a scar, like on the skin. The liver, however, is able to replace damaged tissue with new cells. If up to 50 – 60 percent of the liver cells may be killed within 3 – 4 days in an extreme case like a Tylenol overdose, the liver will repair completely after 30 days if no complications arise. AWESOME!
- Your liver has 3 major roles in detoxification:
- It filters the blood to remove large toxins.
- It synthesizes and secretes bile full of cholesterol and other fat-soluble toxins.
- It enzymatically disassembles unwanted chemicals via enzymatic processes referred to as phase I and phase II.
- When you gotta pee, did you know you were detoxifying your body? YEP!
- Your kidneys are constantly filtering your blood and getting rid of toxins in the form of urine.
- The next time you go to the doc and have a urine test, now you know that your doctor is checking metabolites, a form of toxic waste!
5. GASTROINTESTINAL SYSTEM
- This system is fascinating. You eat food, this system breaks it down into tiny components that your body needs, and then it gets rid of the rest: your POOP!
- Your poop tells you so much about how well your body is detoxifying. I LOVE talking about poop. I can usually tell how healthy you are by your poop!
- For all you super nerds who want a closer look at the detailed composition of feces, sweat, and urine… Yere ya go!
- Here is a great chart, take a look. If your detoxification system is working optimally, then you should be a 3-4 on the Bristol Stool Chart (4 is best).
The Importance of Detoxing
Your liver for example:
Have you ever heard of a “congested liver?” Over time, when our liver has been over-burdened with an insult of environmental and metabolic toxins, these chemicals and metabolites may recirculate and settle in our tissues, wreak havoc in our organs and glands, and eventually make us sick.
These toxins, as stated above, are disrupting our hormones, also. When I work with adult patients who have hormone disruptions (most of my adult practice), the first treatment I focus on is DETOXIFICATION!
Another reason to detoxify, The Textbook of Natural Medicine:
Up to 90% of all cancers are thought to be due to the effects of environmental carcinogens, such as those in cigarette smoke, food, water, and air, combined with deficiencies of the nutrients the body needs for proper functioning of the detoxification and immune systems. The level of exposure to environmental carcinogens varies widely, as does the efficiency of the detoxification enzymes, particularly phase II (in the liver). High levels of exposure to carcinogens coupled with slow detoxification enzymes significantly increases susceptibility to cancer.
For an INTENSE look at liver detoxification, check this out! It’s a favorite of mine, definitely a nerd fave as well!!
I Want to Detox, How Do I Do It?
Yes, there is lots of hype out there about detoxing, but how exactly do you “detoxify”?
Well, there’s all types: you can detoxify yourself, and you can detoxify your surroundings, too! It is extremely important to understand that not only do we want to get rid of toxins from inside our body, but we also want to make sure and keep toxins from coming into our body.
My “3 Pillars Of Health” is a great place to start:
- Take out the trash.
- Give the body what it needs.
- Get out of the way.
“Taking out the trash” is my way of saying detoxify! And in order to detoxify correctly, we need to look at the following:
- Whole Body Detox
- Household Chemicals
- Personal Care Products
- Pesticides and More
For more ways to continue on your detox journey, also try limiting: